Meaning and Definitions of Research
Meaning and Definitions of Research
In this modern world of innovation and betterment of knowledge and construction of articulated information, Research become one of the pathway of knowledge development. Scientific construction of knowledge and process of searching for newly arising quarries is the seed of Research. The term “Research” derived from Latin word “To know” or “to go about searching”. This term was first used in 1577
Meaning of Research:
If we try to find out literal meaning of the term “Research”, we can find it simply made of prefix “Re” and word “Search”, so we can say it is searching again . Research means search of searched to elicit and establish some fact on the basis of known knowledge.
Research is difficult to define. Too many people misuse the word. For example, some faculty claim to do Research to prepare for a class, every week,. What they usually mean is they read or reread material that they will be presenting or discussing in class. Such a preparation may take time and effort, but it is not Research.
Students frequently are assigned Research papers, wherein they read from books and journals, usually in a library, and synthesize the material to form the Research paper. The students would claim to be doing Research, or at least library Research. What they are doing is searching or reviewing the literature on a topic and writing about their findings. It is not Research.
A journalist may systematically investigate an occurrence to find out why it happened, and the same journalist may indeed claim that what he or she is doing is Research, but it is not. It is journalism.
Research is an activity that makes an impact on theory. In the absence of theory the activity is not Research. The activity may be preparing for a class, writing a paper, or developing a story, but they are not Research unless they have a connection with something theoretical.
For better understanding we will follow this alphabetic abbreviations-
Research is a process in which a series of steps are used to collect and analyze those informations to increase our understanding on a topic or an issue. The term Research is related to seek out the information and knowledge on a particular topic or subject. In other words, Research is an art of systematic investigation. We know that necessity is mother of all the inventions and the person engaged in this scientific investigation can be termed as Researcher.
Definition of Research:
To find out a suitable compact definition of Research first look into what renowned persons told about Research in their definitions.
· According to Clifford Woody Research comprises defining and redefining problems, formulating hypothesis or suggested solutions; collecting, organising and evaluating data; making deductions and reaching conclusions
· D. Slesinger and M. Stephenson in the Encyclopaedia of Social Sciences define Research as “the manipulation of things, concepts or symbols for the purpose of generalising to extend, correct or verify knowledge, whether that knowledge aids in construction of theory or in the practice of an art.”
Research is a systematized and scientific process of collection, organization and analysis of information on the basis of our hypothesis and establishing relation, correction and generalization of information by drawing conclusion on that topic for better understanding.
To perform an excellent Research,understanding the meaning and gaining knowledge about various definitions of Research is very important . it is very mandatory for a person who will perform Research in future to have an clear concept of research and what it really means. Meaning of Research give us constant source of guidance to perform methodically.
1) Research Methodology : Methods And Techniques by C.R. Kothari(Author), Gaurav Garg(Author)
2) Research Methodology: by Ranjit Kumar
3) RESEARCH INEDUCATION, TENTH EDITION John W. Best ,James V. Kahn
4) Handbook of Research Methodology A Compendium for Scholars & Researchers Dr. Shanti Bhushan Mishra Dr. Shashi Alok